The current HMRC CHIEF legacy system is being replaced by the Customs Declaration Service (CDS) in two stages, after 30th September 2022 CHIEF will end for all import declarations and for export declarations the final date will be 31st March 2023.
Viamaster International Limited hold a Trader Dress Rehearsal (TDR) badge with HMRC and are currently working on our transition to submitting all import customs entries to CDS well in advance of the September 2022 cut-off date.
This is the link to the government guidance of the changes, and steps that should be taken by every trader https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/customs-declaration-service-communication-pack/trader-checklist-moving-to-the-customs-declaration-service .
Although the government guidance should be read in full and acted on appropriately for your business needs, we have summarised below the steps that should be taken as soon as you are able.
Most traders have already previously completed steps 1 & 2, and steps 4 & 5 apply to those using a duty deferment account for payment of duties and/or taxes.
1. Register for a Government Gateway account
2. Apply for a GB EORI number https://www.gov.uk/eori
3. Register for the Customs Declaration Service (CDS) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get-access-to-the-customs-declaration-service
4. If you have a duty deferment account you will need to set up a new direct debit for CDS as it is a separate account to CHIEF https://www.gov.uk/guidance/set-up-a-direct-debit-for-a-duty-deferment-account-on-the-customs-declaration-service
5. Authorise Viamaster International limited to use your duty deferment account for processing entries with CDS by logging to your digital dashboard on https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/customs/payment-records Please click on Manage your account authorities and follow the steps on the webpage. Our EORI number is GB817524624000.
If you have any questions or comments, please get in touch with your usual Viamaster International contact.